Monday, February 16, 2009

And as the sun sets over the Pacific...



Hey all! I'm back from Monterrico after a weekend of laziness. It was a fun way to spend Valentine's day.



We (I went with two other CIRMA students, Tamara and Stephanie) arrived late morning after taking a van for about two-and-a-half hours from Antigua. Monterrico is basically a collection of cheap hotels, seafood restaurants, and bars on the southern (Pacific) coast of Guatemala. There's not a whole lot to do, other than tour the mangrove swamps (we opted to sleep in), release baby sea turtles to the ocean, drink, eat shrimp, and relax in a hammock or on the sand. I got some reading in, worked on my tan (and my burn) and danced the night away.



The waves are pretty huge, so we only played in the surf a little. They still managed to kick our butts and knock us down plenty. I got to go for a long walk on the beach at sunset on Friday, and my baby sea turtle got second place in the race...he was quite a little bugger. We also made friends with all sorts of interesting people: some Guatemalans, Germans, and one Irish guy. Chris is right, you do meet really interesting people at hostels. All in all, it was a fun weekend, though I am somehow more exhausted now than I was on Friday...



Dang you Moctezuma...


3 comments:

  1. Laura, these pictures are absolutely incredible. I don't recall what I did on Valentine's Day, but I certainly wasn't at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you name your sea turtle Squirt? ;) Cute little guy.

    The beach looks beautiful! Nice spot to spend Valentine's day. And relaxing in a hammock might just be one of the best ways to spend time. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My housemate Tamara named hers squirt (he was her valentine), I didn't really name mine. I guess I'm a bad turtle-Mom.

    ReplyDelete