Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Love from Peten!

Hey all! I'm back from Peten and had a blast. Friday we visited Aguateca, a terminal classic site to the South of Tikal (near Dos Pilas, for my Mayaphile friends). Saturday we explored Tikal. There was a lot of time spent on the road and in the water (by boat), and a lot of time sweating in the humitidy. It was like being back home in Virginia! I'll give you some more details in a later post. Here's some photos.



The boat ride to Aguateca. Left to right: Our program director Claudia, my housmate Tamara, me, our guide Juan Pablo


In front of the palacio at Aguateca after hiking through the defensive crack and through the jungle!



Sending love from Templo I. Anna and Kelsey, this is especially for you. Jasaw Chan Kawil loves you!


Our group from Templo II (Jasaw's wife's pyramid), with Templo I in the background. Left to right: Taylor, Jenny (from CIRMA), Jordan, Sarah, Aaron, Tamara. Second row: Juan Pablo (guide), Claudia (program director), Stephanie, me!


From the top of Templo IV, with Templos I and III in the background. For Star Wars buffs: does this not remind you of a certain scene when they are landing on a special forest moon with those cute/ridiculous furry creatures? It is! They used this view to film the rebel base on Endor!! That made my day.

3 comments:

  1. LB, these photos are fantastic! i went to guatemala two summers ago, and legitimately have these same photos of me and my brother there. what amazing adventures yr having! cannot wait to hear about them in more detail when you get back! keep on keepin on

    ReplyDelete
  2. *drools all over laptop*

    Thank you so much for posting pictures! Now I can live vicariously through you. :D

    That is SO amazing! It must have been surreal to see this after studying it in class. Give Jasaw Chan Kawil my love as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Star Wars buff, I have to point out that this was Yavin 4 not Endor. Yavin 4 was where the rebel assault on the first Death Star was launched from in Star Wars: A New Hope. Endor was filmed in the Redwood forests of North California with all those cute Ewoks in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.

    ReplyDelete