Sunday, November 7, 2010

Autumn Blush

I've had a very exciting month since my arrival back in Virginia, with two weekends in Williamsburg and a trip to New York City with work this past Friday.  I must say that it's left me in a bit of an exhausted state.  As much as I love seeing new (or rather, old and well-loved) places, there is something to be said for being at home.  But for now, I am an itinerant.  Home changes day by day, and I don't think I'll feel quite settled again until I have a place of my own.

I enjoyed spending time in Williamsburg again - compared to my usual haunts in Virginia, D.C., and Maryland, it's very quiet (though there were some pretty crazy parties on campus Halloween weekend!).  There are plenty of places to go walking, and just enjoy not hearing cars or trains whiz by.  And of course, there are many wonderful people to spend time with.  It was so good to catch up after my long sojourn in Colorado.

Last Saturday evening I had a free hour before meeting a friend for pizza.  It was nearly dusk; the sky was painted pink and orange by the setting sun.  Just as the blue sky widens west of the Mississippi, I am sure that light becomes sweeter and softer in autumn.  The rose light of sunrise can render beautiful even the most unromantic of city streets.  I grabbed my camera, hoping to snatch a few photos of the autumn dusk.  While I arrived a little too late to get any good photos, I passed the hour in a peaceful walk through Colonial Williamsburg, enjoying the red and orange leaves against brick buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment