Sunday, November 14, 2010

Fear and Sorrow

I got back from Mass this morning and browsed through the Post.  The metro section was open; at the bottom of the page I spotted an article about William and Mary.  As I read, thoughts flashed through my mind.  When I was visiting campus several weeks ago, a good friend had told me about the recent suicide.  Sorrowful happenings like these rock even the strongest community - she told me that people had been struggling, crying, sorrowful about this student's death.

The article highlighted different schools' efforts to detect depression and prevent suicide - high-stress and high-achievement schools like Cornell, MIT, and NYU, or W&M, where "your best isn't good enough since 1693" (to quote a popular phrase at the College).  To say that I'm not surprised sounds cold and unfeeling; I promise that these are not my sentiments.  What I mean to say is, I understandI know that place.

Last year (2009) was the most difficult of my life thus far, though it was also a year of joy and beauty.  About two weeks into the year I flew to Guatemala for a much-anticipated study abroad experience.  Yet while I was visiting ancient Maya sites, tutoring children in math, and diving into lessons in Guatemalan Spanish, I sunk into the depression that comes from absence; the absence of loved ones, familiar places, and human intimacy - the touch of a hand, an embrace, a knowing smile.  When I returned home, the difficulties did not disappear, but were replaced with new ones.  The beginning of my senior year at William and Mary, I was struggling with health issues I did not understand, and a recent breakup with a man I love dearly.  September I was hospitalized with an abscess; in October I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease.  Yet through all this, I was striving to maintain my GPA, to apply for jobs and volunteer opportunities after college, fulfill leadership roles in multiple organizations; to be a friend.  But I never felt that my efforts were enough; this was not an excuse to let my grades slip, or to not give all my effort and energy to campus organizations.  I cannot imagine getting through those months without the love and support of my friends and family - from my roommates to my campus ministers to my parents.

In the face difficult times, or even the seemingly small difficulties of everyday life - depression does happen.  To struggle with it doesn't mean you're weak, or that you are worthless, or that you are not loved.  And it certainly doesn't mean you're alone.  I don't want anyone to be deceived; to think that my generally lighthearted entries mark a life without fear or sorrow.  Each person bears heavy struggles through his life, too often silently and alone.

In memory of Whitney Mayer, who I never knew, or met.  For all those who feel alone, who bear their struggles silently.  In thanksgiving for every single person who brought light and joy to my dark times.

1 comment: