Tuesday, January 25, 2011

a brief interlude of sensational experience

I felt bold on leaving Concord, but I confess I find New York rough and strange, and myself strange in it.  Mrs. Kirk believes I am here for a brief interlude of sensational experience before succumbing to a matrimonial fate...but I hope that any experience I gain will be strictly literary.
- Jo, Little Women (film)
When I began writing this blog two years ago, I laughed to myself about the specific context of the title.  I had just been on a first date - the first date I'd been on in long time.  And as much as I liked the guy, I was eagerly anticipating a semester in Guatemala.  Well, we went on a second date (I really, really liked this guy) and four days later I boarded a southbound plane.  When I got off the plane four months later, he was there with flowers, waiting for me.  And that was the fifth time in my life that I had ever seen him.

Sometimes I smile when I think about all those early memories.  The first weekend we met (and this was on a church retreat, mind you), when we stayed up late just sharing funny stories - I'll never forget the image of a tiny Kevin (his brother) climbing a dinosaur at a museum.  Four months later, when we got artery-clogging burgers at Five Guys and talked until dark.  And six months after that, when he took me out to my first brewpub - and gave me my first hangover (which mostly just shows that I was a lightweight).  Before he was my boyfriend, he was my good friend.  And before being my fiance, he was (and is) my best friend.  I could not ask for a better man and a better life's companion.

So I must admit (as would Jo, I’m sure), that I’m glad my experience has not been “strictly literary.”  My grandma keeps telling me that I need to quench my adventuresome spirit and settle down.  But I know, as does Paul, that I will never be done having adventures.  Only, from now on, they will ours – our simple days, our struggles, our joys – our adventures.

4 comments:

  1. Paul broke the news to me LOL so happy for you both! Can't wait to see you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to find your blog! I am an archaeology student at the University of Arizona and I am considering taking a trip down to The Center for Mesoamerican Research in Guatemala next semester. I have also been looking into an internship at Crow Canyon. AND I have an intership with NPS working with NAGPRA. So many similarities. :) Looking forward to reading more about your work in DC. I love that museum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jamie - we do have a lot of overlap! I'd be happy to offer advice, so feel free to contact me with any questions. There's also plenty to read on here :)

    ReplyDelete